Sunday, June 9, 2013

Diana


                                                                 Diana


10 weeks old





1 week old
   Diana was a black Australorp and was part of the trio of our first flock we got back on April 2, 2013.  She unfortunately passed away last week at only 11 weeks old.  We were out doing our usual routine after the girls had been "coop-ed" up for an unusual four day heat wave.  Within ten minutes of being out Diana had made a coughing/hacking sound, but looked ok.  However when she did it again I knew there was something wrong.  She was choking on something.  I tried everything I could to help her, then ran inside to get my husband, who ran out while I got a child's medicine dropper thinking maybe I could suction something out.    
   I got some out, which I believe to be part of a slug; her favorite.  However, nothing we did could save her and within ten minutes of that initial cough she was gone.


With my husband & daughter
 Diana was unique, but it wasn't just because she was the odd girl out in the flock; she was so much more than that.  She had such a sweet and docile demeanor.  She loved to perch on my shoulder or arm.  She didn't seem to care about a pecking order and led to the beat of her own drum.  She loved attention and didn't mind being held or touched.  She was my favorite out of the three and is missed very much. 







No comments:

Post a Comment